Competition / Antitrust Law
Though some form of antitrust legislation was adopted in Moldova in early 90s, only in 2007 the first Agency for the Protection of Competition was established. However, it was only in 2012 when the latest Competition Law was approved and today’s Competition Council was established.
After a number of high-profile cases in which the Competition Council imposed substantial fines on companies operating in Moldova, it proved itself as one of the major business regulators in Moldova.
The extensive powers of the Council (particularly to impose substantial fines even for minor non-cooperation) make the competition legislation and compliance with its requirements a major issue for any business. Moldovan competition legislation is based to a great extent on similar provisions of EU law, making it more difficult for Moldovan courts and lawyers to apply given Moldova is not part of the EU and the European competition case law does not apply directly in Moldova while remaining extremely important for understanding and interpreting specific legislative provisions.
Our firm helps our clients to get all necessary expertise on both Moldovan and European competition regulating instruments and mechanisms, and full legal support in cases involving competition issues, including effective communication with the Competition Council in cases of investigations and representation in courts.
We also provide legal advice and assistance on issues related to advertising which is the area supervised by the Competition Council.
You can also find some of our articles, news and materials on competition law in Moldova by accessing the links below:
- Abuz prin prețuri de ruinare în cazul Starnet Soluții SRL / TV-BOX SRL- a avut sau nu dreptate Consiliul Concurenței?
- The competition rules on dawn raids under the constitutional scrutiny
- A fine of MDL 353.000 for failing to notify a merger despite it being declared compatible with the market
- Dreptul exclusiv de distribuție în Republica Moldova – studiu de caz
- CSJ penalizează Consiliul Concurenței pentru nemotivarea amenzii. Cine să penalizeze CSJ pentru (ne)motivare?
- Obligația întreprinderii dominante de a contracta în Codul Civil modernizat
- Revoluția răspunderii delictuale în concurență – cât nu ai fugi, principiul continuității economice te va ajunge
- Is the Moldovan BAR Recommendation on Lawyer’s Fee restricting competition?